Ethical Host provides green web hosting that is 100% wind and renewable energy powered. Our customers have the added peace of mind that their web sites are powered by 100% renewable energy provided through BullFrog Power and ClimateCare. All of our hosting plans include this at no extra cost to you! Ethical Host offsets its energy usage and carbon footprint in several ways.
Our Carbon Offsets and Renewable Energy Details:
- We purchase around 8,000 kilowatt hours yearly of green energy directly from Bullfrog Power, a supplier of clean energy in Ontario and Alberta. This amounts to the prevention of 3,918 kg of CO2, Nitric Oxide and Sulphur Dioxide emissions.
- Since 2014, Ethical Host has been working with climate and development experts ClimateCare. This organization supports projects that cut global carbon emissions and improve people’s lives at the same time.
- We have purchased 35,000 Kg of CO2 energy offsets from ClimateCare.org to offset the energy used by our web server, routers, air conditioning and other power uses related to the data centre infrastructure. Here are two examples of their current projects:
- Boreholes in Uganda
This borehole rehabilitation project provides much needed safe water to communities across Uganda by repairing damaged boreholes and drilling new holes. The boreholes will be maintained throughout the project’s 7-year lifespan and water quality is regularly checked to ensure it is safe for consumption.
- Improving Health in Ghana, Mexico, Uganda, India & Honduras
Indoor air pollution from cooking on open fires kills more people every year than Malaria. This project provides clean cookstoves in order to improve health, cut emissions, and reduce deforestation.
- Read more about these and other projects here.
- View our 2020-2021 offset certificate
- Boreholes in Uganda
Our Commuting and Office Environmental Policy:
- We use tele-commuting to reduce travel related emissions, and use transit to get to meetings and other business related destinations. Our office uses custom built energy efficient computers (80+ certified power supplies and RoHS compliant components). We use an on-demand hot water system and high efficiency heating and cooling system.
- We use 100% post consumer paper and printing products whenever possible., and when not possible we source the highest post-consumer fiber products available. We also minimize our paper use by doing as much paperless accounting as possible, and re-using paper whenever possible.
- Our commitment to corporate social and environmental responsibility drives us to look for ways to minimize any negative impact our web hosting business has on the planet.
Our Data Centre:
- Our data centre is located in Lansing, Michigan. This location allows for lower cooling needs than data centres in warmer climates.
– 150kw Liebert DSE DA150 N+1 hvac system
– Efficient Eaton UPS system.
– Stand alone HVAC systems that do not allow for large scale failure
– Designed for addition of air-side economization
- PUE (Power Usage Efficiency):
The data centre we use for our servers has a PUE of 1.89. We recognize this rating is not great, but made the decision to go with this data centre because of its excellent record with admin monitoring, support, maintenance, uptime, and reliability. We continually review data centre options, and will switch when we find one that has the necessary technical supports and a better PUE score.
How do Carbon Offsets Work?
We have offset the amount of greenhouse gases produced by our electricity use by purchasing carbon offsets that provide wind and renewable power elsewhere on the grid in Canada through Bullfrog Power. This helps to further increase the amount of renewable energy coming online and to reduce the dependence on non-renewable energy sources.
ClimateCare is an independent ‘profit for purpose’ organisation committed to tackling climate change, poverty and development issues. Our unique climate and development model funds ground-breaking projects spanning renewable energy, water purification and clean cookstove technology, cutting emissions and transforming millions of lives worldwide. We enable organisations to adopt a smart approach to addressing their environmental impacts by offsetting their carbon emissions and supporting sustainable development.
Does your Host use Green Energy?
If your business is environmentally minded or wanting to do more to reduce your impact, you should consider hosting with EthicalHost, a green hosting solution. Once you are hosted with us, you can advertise this fact to your customers to help demonstrate your environmental commitments. You can use any of the banners/logos found here to put on your web site. Consumers are becoming more aware of energy consumption and its impact on the environment.
You might also want to extend this to other areas of your business including your offices. There are many accredited providers of green energy and your local utility may have an option to purchase green energy certificates or the energy directly. The cost to you is simply the value over normal electricity rates.
The faster we all start to support and adopt renewable energy, the faster we will become less reliant on polluting fossil fuels by creating more demand for wind, solar and other renewable power sources.
Hosting with EthicalHost may be your first or your last step in greening your operation. Either way, we can help consult with you on green options for your business, and we would certain love to work together with you. Please see our Green Web Hosting plans here.
The power supplied from Bullfrog Power is EcoLogo Certified.